Monday, January 26, 2009

Fingerless Wonders








Not that what I have created gives a great representation of these two patterns, but at least they are cozy!!! [That's all that really matters, right?!?!?!]Sorry for these pics, a bit fuzzy, I know I should stop taking my own pictures and let someone else do it, scheduling issues. Oh well! :)

The slightly modified fingerless mitts are made from two different colors of Plymouth Brushed Suri Alpaca (100% Suri Alpaca) from my stash that were left over from a couple of other projects. I had two colors left and wanted to make opposite mitts, I knit them on US 7 dpn needles and modified the original pattern by picking up stitches at the thumbs and extending the knitting there in 1x1 ribbing, and also made them a little longer at the fingers to make mine a little more suitable for our Connecticut winters.....sooo warm and cozy!!! [Perfect to keep warm while knitting.] The free and simple pattern is from knit and tonic, I'm sure I'll use it again and again. [Both were knit in one evening.]

The huge fingerless gloves are for my Bro-in-law who works outside a lot. He requested something to keep his hands warm and dry while he's working, but still have the dexterity...so these fingerless gloves, from Marnie MacLean were a perfect solution. I modified the pattern to the size of my BIL's hands and the yarn gauge I was working with (Cascade 220, charcoal black, 1 skein, on the same US 7 dpn's as for the fingerless mitts). The first one took me forever, trying to tweek the pattern so that it worked with my yarn, et al...but the second one took me no more than a couple of evenings tv time.

I absolutely love knitting patterns like this, because they are functional of course, but also because they are quick knits and there's great satisfaction in having something finished within a night or two!!
I hope you enjoy the links to these two great designers and there equally great, yet simple, patterns.

No comments:

Post a Comment